Homemade Egg Noodles
2 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
3 egg yolks
2 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 c. water
1. Put flower in a med. sized bowl and make a well in the center. Add the yolks, whole egg, and salt.
2. Use your hands to thoroughly mix egg into flour
3. Add just enough water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to bring the dough together so it forms a ball. Mix well between each addition of water.
4. Knead on a floured surface for about 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
5. Divide into 4 equal parts. Roll dough one part at a time until it’s very thin. Thinner than you think.
6. Cut dough crosswise into fettuccine-sized strips.
7. Add it to soup immediately or lay it on a cooling rack to dry. Store it in a bag or airtight container.
Fresh noodles cook in about 8 minutes, dried noodles in about 12 minutes.
Baked Rigatoni Cake (Adapted from Martha Stewart)
16 ounces rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces ground turkey or beef
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and fresh ground black pepper
28 ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
4 ounces (about 1 cup) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add pasta and cook until slightly underdone. Drain: rinse in cold water, then drain well. Place back into the pot, off of the heat, and toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high. Add ground turkey and/or ground beef-- cook, stirring to crumble, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in tomatoes, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Coat a 9" springform pan with cooking spray. Add Parmesan cheese into the pot with the pasta and toss well to coat. Tightly pack pasta into springform pan, standing each piece on end. Scoop about 2 cups of the meat mixture on top of the pasta, gently pushing it into any of the holes. Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and scatter the top with mozzarella. Place back into the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and turned golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with any remaining sauce on the side or on top.
Makes about 8 servings.